Monday

Bathroom Cleaning, Made 50X Easier!

Sounds like an infomercial, right? Well, that's because I want to sing from the rooftops how amazing this tub cleaner is. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!

And guess what...its made with things you already have around your house. Bonus!

Let me start with a little background: The tub in our rental is refinished. Yes, refinished. You didn't know you could do that to a tub? Neither did we. Signing our lease came with a list of things we were not allowed to use on our tub. Products that contain bleach, scrubby things (like Ajax), etc.

The tub isn't quite angled enough to get all of the water to run down the drain at the end of a shower. Add to that, a bathroom fan that does NOTHING (I'm constantly battling mildew), and you end up with little puddles of water which eventually dry, but leave nasty, grimy, soap scum-y spots all over the bottom.

Being the good tenant that I am, I was using a standard tub and tile cleaner (Method brand, if you're curious) and scrubbing til my arm felt like it would fall off....and then despairing because it still didn't look that much cleaner.

This left me dreading cleaning the bathroom, which means it got put off longer, which means I had to scrub even more for my tub to look decent. Vicious cycle.



Enter Pinterest. And vinegar. Because every pinner knows, by now, that vinegar is a miracle solution that solves every problem EVER.

Here's what you need:
  • Dish Soap - Pinterest says YOU MUST USE ORIGINAL DAWN OR BABY SEALS WILL DIE but, really, I used our Costco brand, environmentally friendly stuff, and it worked just fine.
  • Vinegar - plain white, distilled
  • Warm water
That's it. Easy enough right? I didn't even measure because that's how I roll. Squirt dish soap into the bottom of a sprayer bottle, it doesn't take much (1/4 cup?). Pour in vinegar. Maybe like half a cup? Add warm water. I added about 2 - 2 1/2 times the amount of vinegar I used. Swish around until soap is dissolved. It will get foamy, so you probably don't want to fill your sprayer to the very top...

If you want some measurements, here are a couple links to blogs who provide them. Here and here.
Just a note, I think both use equal parts vinegar and soap (and no water), but believe me, you can get away with less soap and vinegar.

I sprayed it onto the whole inside of my tub and let it sit for as long as it took to clean the toilet. Then I took my sponge and started wiping. I didn't even have to scrub folks! Mild pressure while wiping. That's it. It even works great on faucets and things of that nature.

I rinsed. My tub sparkled. Everyone was happy.

Look forward to Don't dread cleaning the bathroom.

Hallelujah!


Check it out: Places I link to

8 comments:

  1. That's amazing Brandi Lee! I'm hearing all kinds of great ideas for vinegar but haven't heard this one yet. Our tub gets scummy so fast & I don't find cleaners work that well so I'm excited to try this out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it works for you! Its my new go-to cleaner for the bathroom.

      Delete
  2. I'm pinning this to try. I've seen the pins about white vinegar; I just cleaned my bathroom and the foaming cleaner makes me cough and irritates my nose. Can't be good. Thanks for posting! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! I hope this works for you. Chemicals that irritate your nose and throat can't be good. I must say that when you are spraying this stuff it smells VERY vinegar-y, but once you're done spraying the smell dies down.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. My pleasure. :) Everyone should know about excellent bathroom cleaners, right? lol

      Delete
  4. Do you use bar soap or body wash? I found that when I switched from bar soap to the body wash my tub instantly became a breeze to clean. And I love the method tub & tile cleaner. It works wonders for me and I'm always amazed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use body wash, but my husband uses bar soap, so that could be part of the crazy build up!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by, I am always happy to hear from you!